The US Army mistakenly sent letters to apparently 275 soldiers where they invited them to re-enlist for military services, the US military issued in a statement on Friday.
The letter was sent to over 5,100 retired officers at the end of December, and for some reason the database that was used included the names of more than 75 families of deceased officers and 200 families of wounded officers according to the statement.
“Unfortunately, the database used to address those letters contained names of officers who were killed in action or wounded,” the Army said. “Army personnel officials are contacting those officers’ families now to personally apologize for erroneously sending the letters.”
Well the Army kindly apologized for the mistake to all the families who had received the letter. Since then, they have said that the database has been updated removing those names.
There are more than 132,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and over 3,006 have died since the war began in 2003. President George W. Bush plans to unveil a new Iraq strategy by Wednesday that could call up to 20,000 U.S. troops in the country according to reports.