Last nights show was completely re-vamped due to the tragic death of Michael Jackson. It took a wide turn with heavy last minute planning to change the show around with such short notice but they got it done and there were many surprises.
Jamie Foxx opened the show with a moonwalk and a re-enactment of Jackson’s “Beat It” choreography- Red Jacket and glove included. Janet Jackson made her first public appearance since her brother’s death and spoke on behalf of their entire family, thanking the fans for love and support. Neyo and Jamie Foxx also took the stage with a Jackson 5 performance of “I’ll Be There” and Beyonce mentioned Jackson as her “hero” after accepting her award for Best R&B Female Artist.
It was a great tribute show and I know fans are glad that the BET producers were able to pull it together quickly to honor Michael Jackson and make history.
List of winners:
• Male R&B Artist: Ne-Yo.
• Female R&B Artist: Beyonce.
• Group: Day 26.
• Collaboration: “Blame It,” Jamie Foxx featuring T-Pain.
• Male Hip Hop Artist: Lil Wayne.
• Female Hip Hop Artist: M.I.A.
• New Artist: Keri Hilson.
• Gospel Artist: Mary Mary.
• Video of the Year: “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It),” Beyonce.
• Video Director of the Year: Benny Boom.
• Actor: Will Smith.
• Actress: Taraji P. Henson.
• Female Athlete: Serena Williams.
• Male Athlete: LeBron James.
• Centric Award: Jazmine Sullivan.
• Viewer’s Choice Award: “Live Your Life,” T.I.
• Humanitarians of the Year: Alicia Keys and Wyclef Jean.
• Lifetime Achievement Award: O’Jays